Welcome to Maths at St Nicolas and St Mary CE Primary School
To find out about maths at our school please have a look at the Parent Handbook and Sumdog guide below. In response to requests from parents, we have also produced a guide to support work with times tables at home. This includes information on National times table expectations, top tips, games and useful websites to develop confidence in your child.
We have created some 'tutorial' videos to support parents and pupils in understanding the different stages of the four key mathematical operations: addition, subtraction, multiplication and division. Please browse the videos, for addition, which can be linked to the progression poster found in the Parent Maths Handbook. We hope you find these useful.
There are also some useful videos on the NCTEM website: https://www.ncetm.org.uk/resources/41211
Our Maths vision
We want all children to develop a positive attitude towards maths, to seek challenge and to understand the value of maths in the real world. Maths is structured so that learners become fluent in the core skills whilst exploring contextual reasoning and problem solving.
- Mastery maths emphasises talking and explaining how we reach solutions.
- Mistakes are embraced as an opportunity to learn and possible misconceptions are discussed and explored.
- Throughout the school, we encourage children to use a variety of physical and pictorial resources which enable a deeper understanding of mathematical concepts.
- Maths is taught both indoors and outdoors giving children a chance to apply their skills across the curriculum.
- The use of flexible, targeted intervention and pre-teaching ensures that misconceptions are addressed and gaps are filled.
Please enjoy this video showcasing maths at our school.