Art & Design
Welcome to Art & Design at St Nicolas and St Mary CE Primary School!
Here you will find our art & design curriculum map as well as art & design milestones detailing the journey our children make in art from year 1 to year 6. As a school, our passion for art is evident in our many creative and inspirational art units and these allow us to enthuse all pupils with the joy of creativity.
Our Art & Design Vision
In art & design, we aim to promote the importance and value of a creative mindset through a range of genres; enhancing and challenging children’s intuition, manual dexterity and practical thinking including disadvantaged and/or pupils with SEND. Each year we aim to give all children the opportunity to participate in a range of inspiring and innovative community based projects such as The Adur Festival, Beach Dreams and numerous art exhibitions featured across the local area (and also in churches).
- The arts are taught through a variety of forms.
- The subjects are often cross-curricular linking to the class’ current topic enabling children to explore their topic with a creative mindset.
- The children understand art can come in many different expressive forms – there is no right or wrong outcome.
- Each child is encouraged to interpret art in their own individual way.
- The art framework enables children to develop knowledge and understanding of a broad and diverse spectrum of artists and artwork.
- The children are able to develop and explore various faiths through the use of religious art.
- The use of recycled materials should be explored when developing art pieces to encourage a mindful approach to taking care of our world.
Amazing Art & Design
Please enjoy this video showcasing art and design at our school.