Growth Mindset - How To Be A Tough Tortoise
Welcome to KS2! You've made a big jump from Y2 to Y3.
We work really hard and it won't always be easy
...but we love a challenge.
Here are some tips on how to be a Tough Tortoise.
Making Mistakes and The Power of "Yet"...
These 5 short videos introduce the concept of Growth Mindset. Follow Mojo as he perseveres, learns from mistakes and discovers how his brain is like a muscle. There are handy parent discussion guides as well.
Tough Tortoise Soundtrack
Sealions love a good song and we've been listening out for Tough Tortoise messages. Here's our playlist so far...
Feel free to suggest any other songs with a motivational message!
10 Questions to build a Growth Mindset
To be a Tough Tortoise, you have to be happy to make mistakes. If you don't know something, you just don't know...YET! We have learned that your brain is like a muscle and needs constant stretching to help it grow. Here are 10 questions you can ask to develop a Growth Mindset and build a Tough Tortoise shell:
Some key aspects of Growth Mindset
- We remember it’s always OK to make mistakes – we learn from them.
- We never give up! We try a different approach, or use a different strategy.
- We learn from each other – you guys often make the best teachers!
- We don’t compare ourselves with others, but we do learn from others.
- We challenge ourselves – which really helps us make progress.
- We take risks – we don’t limit ourselves by taking the easy option.
- We join in as much as possible – and we learn much more by being involved.
- We remember that mastering something new feels so much better than doing something you can already do.
- We remember that the brain is making new connections all the time – the only thing you need to know is that you can learn anything!
Growth Mindset on Mars!
For over 15 years, scientists have been working on a project called ExoMars. Although they recently got one of their machines in orbit, the super-important landing craft disappeared (after a journey of 500 million miles!)
Would you be gutted if you had worked on it for all that time?
Watch the clip below to hear how space scientist, Professor Monica Grady, reacted:
(Audio excerpt from 'PM with Eddie Mair' - BBC Radio 4, 20/10/16)
For more information about Growth Mindset and how you can grow your brain like a muscle, watch this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUWn_TJTrnU and have a read of the documents below: